Springtime flooding can pose electrical hazards
As the spring snow melt causes flooding in many yards, homes, and basements, Rock Energy Cooperative reminds members that water and electricity don't mix.
If you need your electric and/or natural gas service disconnected for emergency reasons, call us at 866-752-4550. We will respond anytime during the day or night without charge. Reconnection during normal business hours, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, also is free. If reconnection is requested after hours, there will be a trip charge.
Water and electricity can make for a dangerous combination, so remember these tips to stay safe:
- Never step into a flooded basement or room if water may be contact with electrical outlets, appliances, or cords.
- Never attempt to turn off power at the breaker box if you must stand in water to do so. If you cannot reach your breaker box safely, call us and we will shut off power at the meter.
- Call us if you notice water inside your meter.
- Stay away from green transformer boxes and other outdoor electrical equipment, especially if water surrounds them.
- Never use electric appliances or touch electric wires, switches, or fuses when you are wet or standing in water.