Solar & Wind (Distributed Generation) - Illinois
Introduction to Solar
Because rooftop solar is becoming so popular, we compiled this information to help answer your questions. Details on this page will help you decide if solar is right for you.
Rooftop solar is part of what's called Distributed Generation (DG) in the energy industry. It's the process of generating electricity at or near the point of use. The produced electricity then is interconnected to the distribution system.
This brief video provides a general overview of solar power generation and mentions some websites that provide even more information. Here are links to those sites and others:
If you want to further explore the possibility of solar power generation, download this Checklist for Interconnection, which outlines the steps you need to take from start to finish.
- Rock Energy members who produce electricity for their own use with a generating capacity of less than 100 kilowatts (kW) are subject to the Small Distributed Generation (DG) Rate.
- Rock Energy members who are interested in installing generation capacity of 100 kilowatts (kW) or more, should contact our office for additional info and requirements. You can call us at 866-752-4550 or email us.
After thoroughly researching all this information, you can now decide if you want to invest in solar power generation. If solar is right for you, here are the next steps.
- Download our Checklist for Interconnection.
- Review our Guidelines for Technical Requirements of Interconnection and Operation of DG Resources and our Interconnection Policy. You can download these documents and provide them to potential vendors so they know about the co-op’s technical requirements.
- Submit a Parallel Generation Application Form, which should be completed and signed by you and your installer. The application includes specific information about the purpose, output, nature, and design of your proposed generation system.
- Review the Distributed Generation Fee Schedule.
If you have questions about any of this material, please email us.