October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
Are you protected?
Make sure your personal and professional information is secure
Sony, Target, Home Depot, Yahoo, Equifax, and even the U.S. Office of Personnel Management have all been attacked by cybercriminals. Let’s face it: In today’s world, the cybersecurity threats facing our nation can seem overwhelming—and downright scary.
Use these tips to safeguard your computer:
• Keep all software on internet-connected devices—including personal computers, tablets, and smartphones—up to date to reduce risk of infection from malware.
• Create long passwords that only you will remember, and change them every six months. Remember, a strong password is at least 12 characters long.
• Avoid the use of thumb drives and other portable memory devices.
• Don’t click on web links or attached files in e-mails when you’re not certain of who the sender is.
• Keep pace with new ways to stay safe online. Check trusted websites for the latest information. Share security tips with friends, family, and colleagues, and encourage them to be web wise.